Extended Warranty

5starred 20:17 04 Apr 2007

Does anyone know if you can purchase and extended warranty for a laptop well after the 1 year manufacturers warranty has expired? If so do you have to buy with the manufacturer or are there other companies that will sell you them?

5starred 11:42 09 Apr 2007

Does anyone know if this can be done?

wee eddie 12:03 09 Apr 2007

As you have another thread running, regarding a damaged Laptop Power Supply. I think it unlikely.

Someone may offer you one but, at a price and excluding pre-existing problems

spuds 12:45 09 Apr 2007

Norwich Union, Domestic & General click here may offer this service. Some manufacturers will offer extended warranties, usually at time of sale of the product, there after a repair service at a fixed or flexible charge rate.

As wee eddie as suggested, if the fault is existing, then no warranty company would take this burden on. It would be a case of paying the going rate for the repair.

spuds 13:18 09 Apr 2007

Considering this further, you may have a claim under the Sales of Goods Act, depending on time scale of a possible problem. If you used a credit card for the original purchase, then you may have options available under the Consumer Credit Act.

Stuartli 14:38 09 Apr 2007

Extended warranties are generally expensive and, frankly, a waste of time in my opinion.

The saving on not buying a warranty can be put towards the cost of any repairs which may be necessary and, in most cases, will prove cheaper in the long run.

5starred 17:40 09 Apr 2007

Found this click here

For £49 it looks ok but if I don't tell them that there is a problem in the first place then how will they know?

Alan H E 19:04 09 Apr 2007

If you buy & then following week make a claim don't you think they will be suspicious - I know I would. If you get a bad name in insurance it might follow you around when you want home, car or other policies. Bite the bullet & pay for the repair or follow Spuds suggestion.

Stuartli 19:34 09 Apr 2007

>>For £49 it looks ok but if I don't tell them that there is a problem in the first place then how will they know?>>

My opinion of that query is best left unsaid.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?