extended desktop plus tv monitor

kainos 12:25 10 Dec 2010

Good morning I hope someone may be able to offer a solution.

I have extended my desktop across two identical monitors. My nvidia graphics card has 1 dvi port and 1 vga.

I also want to be able to connect to a tv (to show pictures, spreadsheets and for BBC i-player etc).

I have used a splitter from the vga port for one of the monitors and the TV but it degrades the appearance of the monitor screen considerably. No amount of messing with the monitor controls can correct this.

What would I need to be able to keep the set up as permanent, rather than having to swap cables on the computer each time I want to use the TV as a third monitor? (It's not very easy to get at).

I really am hoping for a solution which won't involve a horrendously expensive new graphics card.

gengiscant 15:21 10 Dec 2010

You do not mention your graphics card,but I think an upgrade may well be in order, I have 5 connections on my latest card and 4 on my older card.

gengiscant 15:30 10 Dec 2010

Have a look at Eyefinity click here

kainos 16:55 10 Dec 2010

Thank you gengiscant - which, at £350, is why I said "I really am hoping for a solution which won't involve a horrendously expensive new graphics card".

gengiscant 17:00 10 Dec 2010

You still have not mentioned your graphics card, and you will not have to pay anything like £350, less than a £100 I would say.
The video was just to give you an idea.

kainos 17:55 10 Dec 2010

The Graphics card is Nvidia GeForce 7600GS, and I am hoping to be able to use this. Perhaps some one may be able to say whether powered splitters are good at retaining the integrity of the monitors.

GaT7 23:47 10 Dec 2010

Apart from an Eyefinity graphics card, if you have a spare PCI slot you could pick up a cheap PCI graphics card (from eBay perhaps) in order to connect a third screen. But before doing this, tell us the following:

What are the native resolutions of your monitors & TV?

What graphics card interface does your system's motherboard have - AGP or PCI-E? G

kainos 17:16 11 Dec 2010

On the System Information screen for the Nvidia card one line says "Bus: PCI Express x 16". Does that answer it?

I'm afraid I don't know what is meant by "native resolution", but these figures are taken from the TV manual, if that helps.

1280x1024 1920x1080
(RGB-PC)
1920x1080
(HDMI-PC)

The Monitors are:
Optimum resolution
1280 x [email protected] Hz

Maximum resolution
1280 x [email protected] Hz

I hope this helps - I should say that I can run the TV as a monitor, very successfully, but not leave it plugged into the vga splitter as this degrades the image on the monitor that it shares the splitter with.

GaT7 17:29 11 Dec 2010

With your present graphics card, can you run ONE monitor at 1280 x 1024 & the TV at 1920x1080? (Those appear to be their native resolutions by the way).

If yes to the above, & you have a spare PCI slot on the motherboard, then all you need is a basic PCI card to run the 2nd monitor. This shouldn't be more than £5-10 from eBay. I can suggest a few if required. G

kainos 11:43 13 Dec 2010

Thank you for your kind help. This may be the avenue to pursue, although I was hoping to avoid having to have a new card fitted. Thank you again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?