Extend wireless range of BT fibre-optic (Home Hub 5)

KAGill13 01:35 30 Jul 2014

I currently have a BT home hub 5 in one corner of the house next to the main computer and faceplate for the adsl connection. In the room on the other side of the house the wifi is considerably slower. Usually achieve around 50-60mbps elsewhere. Is there any way to extend the range so there is a decent wifi signal in this room.

Also, I have a Belkin N600 F9K1102 DB wireless router which I tried to set up to use as well as the Home Hub. I tried to use it as an access point and disabled wireless on the home hub, and connected them both via an ethernet cable through the LAN ports. I couldn't get it to connect though, I even turned off the DHCP on the Belkin. Is there any way this could be achieved, as this way I could have a router in a more central location in the house. Would it work to connect the belkin router to the phone line and the computer, and then connect this to the home hub which would be in the centre of the house giving out the wireless signal.

I considered running the phone line to the hallway, but I heard you get a drop in signal this way. Any help is appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:41 30 Jul 2014

old router as wireless extender

another method is to connect the hub to a homplug in the mains and have a wireless plug at the other end of the house

KAGill13 22:50 30 Jul 2014

Thanks, but I was hoping to just have the one router in the centre of the house broadcasting the signal.. I am just not sure how to get the belkin router to work with the BT broadband :/

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:24 30 Jul 2014

when you set the second router as an access point did you make sure it had the same SSID and security key as the BTHH5?

KAGill13 23:41 30 Jul 2014

No, maybe this was the problem!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?