extend wifi range

wybs544 10:11 15 Jan 2010

Hi, I have a wireless router which is a Netgear WNR2000. I am using it in a large house with thick walls and am getting poor or zero reception in some parts of the house. Any suggestions as to how I could increase the range? Many thanks

oldbeefer2 11:26 15 Jan 2010

Best bet is probably Homeplugs (assuming all floors are on the same ring main).click here

Marko797 11:34 16 Jan 2010

I had a similar problem last year with little or no wifi signal, continual drop-offs, in certain parts of the house, and purchased a devolo wifi extender kit.

One end plugs into mains skt upstairs (in my particular case) near the main desktop which is hard wired to the router (they provide a very long cable, which is useful), and the other end (with an aerial) plugs into a mains skt anywhere else in the house. It's superb, works very well, although a bit pricey (c.£125). Google devolo wifi extender.

Marko797 11:40 16 Jan 2010

this is at amazon click here but u could do a more thorough search. I suspect it will be the starter kit which u will need. Very easy to set up. My wife did ours and she has no tech ability at all!

wybs544 12:16 16 Jan 2010

Hi Guys

many thanks for the reply's. I'll check these out and see if that helps. Cheers

User-1229748 13:26 16 Jan 2010

what adapter has the pc got that you are trying to connect with?the wireless n router that i was using would only connect at a higher speed on channel 6 or 11.whether that would give you a better reception i don't know but is worth a try.is the adapter in your computer a wireless n adapter?

wybs544 12:30 21 Jan 2010

I am going to try the plugs - many thanks for all your replies

borg1132 04:04 14 Feb 2010

Check this out
click here
You can connect to networks miles away like this!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?