Extend partition

Sixosix 20:10 23 Jul 2009

I have two 230GB HDD (NTFS) on my Vista HP machine. I back up onto the second disc which has a 184GB partition for backups and a 40GB for odds and sods.
My backup has now grown to 90GB and the volume will shortly be unable to take two of my weekly backups. (I keep last week’s on the disc until this week’s backup has been checked then delete the old one.)
Using Disc Management I successfully chopped 14GB off the 40GB partition which now is listed as ‘Unallocated’. I wish to extend the backup volume to take up this unallocated chunk.
However when I access the Vista ‘Control Panel’ > ‘Administration Tools’ > Computer Management’ > ‘Storage’ > ‘ Disc Management’ . Right click the backup volume then More Actions’ > ‘All Tasks’> ‘Extend Volume’ and work through the Vista wizard for doing this it refuses to make the extension.
At the third screen where the unallocated space is displayed I click ‘Finish.
At the next screen there is a message asking if I want the disc converted to ‘dynamic’. If I click ‘No’ there is no action taken. If I click ‘Yes’ I get a further warning that the attempted operation is invalid. And no change is made to the disc.
What am I doing wrong please?

DieSse 22:28 23 Jul 2009

I suggest you save your "odds etc" to the main drive - then restructure you spare drive totally to make the partitions you want.

It's possible too much messing about will lose the data on your 40GB section totally.

Never totally trust repartitioning with live data on the partitions - better safe than sorry.

woodchip 22:49 23 Jul 2009

good advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires