Extend CD/ DVD life

Terry Brown 20:16 23 Aug 2010

Back in 2004, I tried an experiment with some CD's

After I had burnt them, I put a thin layer of Turtleway liquid polish (car polish) with a soft cloth, allowed to dry and then polished.

These were mainly Radio plays which were freely available (BBC and CBS).

I have not played these for some time, but seeing an article about CD life, I dug them out.

I was suprised to find that all the ones I had treated played perfectly, however some I recorded in 2006, which were not treated, skipped or would not play, and there was almost no scratches on the treated ones, while the others had scratches (normal wear & tear and only light surface).

Could this be the secret to preserving CD/DVD life.

Thinking about it, the polish is designed to stop the sun bleaching the colour from your car, it could work the same way and the polish forms a hard layer over the CD surface, protecting it.
Terry

northumbria61 22:43 23 Aug 2010

Nice tip Terry - maybe I could spray myself and extend MY "shelf" life.

MAJ 00:00 24 Aug 2010

Just checked out a couple of old Intenso CDRs from upstairs, containing (among other things) pictures of my birthday party in London in the year 2000. They're still perfect. They weren't treated with anything, not even respect, lol. All music and video files on the CD also play without problems.

mooly 07:15 24 Aug 2010

From day one with CD (back in the 80's) I have used spray polish (Servisol Wax + Silicone) on all discs as soon as I got them, and continue to do so now with DVD/CDR etc.

Never had a failure yet. Early discs were prone to "rot" where the aluminium layer oxidised and reflectivity suffered. Perhaps the polish seals the disc. In severe cases the disc looks mottled when held to the light. Fortunately none of mine seem to have been affected. Always stored dark and cool too.

gazzaho 07:18 24 Aug 2010

I think it depends more on where they're stored. If stored in the dark, CD/DVD disks should last longer than if stored in the sunny or lighted room, the quality of the ink used in the manufacturing process would also be a big factor.

Your point about the polish blocking harmful ultra violet rays is worth noting, however if the disks where to be stored in a sunny environment. I would have imagined someone would have come up with a product for disks if that were the case, who knows though, you might actually have something there.

robin_x 11:21 24 Aug 2010

My CD/DVDs are in cases and my desk drawer. They still get scratched.

I blame the mice.

But I have Googled this and toothpaste works for micro scratches.

Trust me, I used to be a fibre optic engineer and we used it on the fibres sometimes.

robin_x 11:25 24 Aug 2010

Actually, we didn't use it on the fibres, that was 99% Iso-propyl Alcohol. We used toothpaste on the accesories (optical)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017