Ext HDD recognition

ninjablue 12:50 10 Jun 2007

Hi there,

I have an IBM T42 laptop with windows XP home. It has USB 2. I have connected an Akasa Integral high speed USB 2.0 3.5" IDE HDD with a seagate barracuda IDE HDD (80GB) model no. ST380011A.

The drive is set to Master (as per advice in another post in this helproom). My computer detects the drive as DVD Drive(G:)

The 'found new hardware wizard' says "an eror occurred during the installation of this device. The specified servoce does not exist as an installed service."

This same device worked fine the other day with a different IDE HDD in it. XP detected it automatically. Only after putting in the current IDE HDD, as described above, is it playing up.

Any suggestions. Have tried reboots. Also the system won't start up unless the ext drive is switched off / disconnected.

Any ideas anyone? Much appreciated.

ninjablue 14:51 10 Jun 2007

I have even tried running seagate disc wizard, but it doesn't recognise the drive. Have no other ideas.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:39 10 Jun 2007

Remove & refit the drive in the enclosure and retry (could be bad connection on the IDE cable).

If that doesn't work try a refresh of the USB ports
Refresh USB Ports
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

ninjablue 17:30 10 Jun 2007

Thanks Fruit Bat. Tried the connections and also uninstalling all USB devices from hardware manager and restarting. No improvement.
Any other thoughts?

skidzy 17:40 10 Jun 2007

Has the external drive been formatted first ?

Try formatting in another xp machine if possible.

skidzy 17:41 10 Jun 2007

Sorry think i may have misread the post !

ninjablue 17:42 10 Jun 2007

Thanks Skidzy. It has been formatted previously and contains files on it.

skidzy 17:51 10 Jun 2007

Also the system won't start up unless the ext drive is switched off / disconnected.

Have you checked the bios,this maybe trying to boot from the external drive if the drive is selected to boot first as opposed to hdd/cd/dvd /usb

ninjablue 20:34 10 Jun 2007

Thanks again skidzy. Have checked bios settings and the USB HDD is not the bootable drive.

Terry Brown 20:55 10 Jun 2007

I had a similar problem, but mine was with a mobile phone it would not recognize it as a USB device. I had to load a piece of software that created a virtual USB connection, before it worked. If you like I can send you the programs( approx size 2mb), however there is no guarantee they will work on your machine.
They come as a self install file and a set of programs with install (setup).
Terry

ninjablue 21:53 10 Jun 2007

I would welcome that Terry. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017