Ext HDD Not Recognised After Cancelling Backup!

Masterspy 10:29 19 Mar 2005

I am running XP Home on a Notebook 256Gb RAM, P4 2.0GHz, 20Gb hdd partitioned for C (boot)ntfs and D (backup)Fat32. The notebook has a floppy drive and combined DVD/CD drive that RWs CDs.

I bought the Medion Ext 160 Gb hdd 01/04 and created 2 partitions using Disk Manager lettered F and G of 30 and 50Gb using G as a backup and F for photos etc. I connect the ext. drive using Firewire because my notebook only has usb1. There have been 3 backups to drive G since aquiring the hdd and a load of photos stored on drive F.

Prior to installing a new program and memory, I decided to backup the drive again using the inbuilt XP backup prog. When it was writing to drive G I cancelled the write because I thought it was doing a full backup. I restarted the backup and let it finish. After completing the backup successfully there was an error 43 dialog box displayed which resulted in the external hdd being unrecognised.

I have tried uninstalling it and rebooting and using system restore, but all to no avail.

When using Computer Management, in Device Manager both drives are shown but the external one has a Yellow triangle with an exclamation mark within and the properties tab shows the code 43 error.

In Disk Management the upper right pane shows only the partitions C and D of the internal hdd. The bottom right window shows, from left to right, Disk0 Basic 18.62Gb Online; Boot C 11.18Gb NTFS Healthy (System); Backup D 7.45Gb FAT32 Healthy; CD Rom0 DVD E No Media.

What is this Disk0 Online? The Properties tab for Disk0 shows it relates to the internal hdd, that it is working OK. This internal hdd is only 20Gb!

I connected the drive via the usb cable. Managed to show the drive in the Disk Management window and in My Computer but the F partition wasn't accessible.

Can anyone shed any light on this problem leading to a solution. The ext drive is whirring away. The notebooks IEE1394 Bus is shown as OK in the Hardware window. I need to access the disk via Firewire adn to remove this Code 43 error.

Many thanks

Chegs ® 12:06 19 Mar 2005

I'm unable to find anything specific on "error 43" but various other posts seem to indicate a fresh install and partitioning are your best options.

Searching for "Computer Management + error 43" gets a M$ page with...

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) One of the drivers controlling the device notified the operating system that the device failed in some manner. For more information about how to diagnose the problem, see the hardware documentation.
On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooting wizard.

Masterspy 16:34 19 Mar 2005

Thank you Chegs. I have followed that link for Troubleshooting. How can I re-partition when the drive is not recognised?

Is it the computer or the ext hdd! I am having difficulty finding another computer to try the drive on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?