Ext HDD file directory is corrupted or unreadable?

Tinkey Winkey 10:59 17 May 2009

Please help!

I have an extenal HD connected to my PC via USB.
It has ALL my work, family photos etc on it.

Today it says K:\is not accessible.
The file directory is corrupted or unreadable.

I have tried connecting the HD to another PC but it says the same thing.

I have googled the error message which shows these 4 web pages.

click here=

Looks like I will have to buy some HD recovery software? What's the best one please or is there snything else I can try without risking the data on the HD?

Feeling REALLY sick with worry now, please help!Don't know what to do?

Tinkey Winkey 11:05 17 May 2009

If I right click on the drive K:\ and select properties > Tools there is an error checking option. Will running this help or make the situation worse i.e less recoverable with a software prog?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:06 17 May 2009

Attempt to repair the damaged file, folder or file system index using Chkdsk. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type chkdsk /f <drive>:, where <drive> is the letter of the drive on which the damaged file, folder or file system index exists.
3. Click OK.

NOTE: If the hard disk is large, Chkdsk may take several minutes to several hours to complete.

Tinkey Winkey 11:07 17 May 2009

I've noticed that when trying to access the ext. HD it makes a (quiet) repetitive noise as if the drive head is getting stuck?

Dunno if that helps diagnose the problem?

Tinkey Winkey 11:10 17 May 2009

thx fruitbat will try that chkdsk but it's a 500GB HD so will prob take some time.

(Must go pick up my daughter now so will report back in the next 1-2 hrs)

micktrish 11:17 17 May 2009
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:20 17 May 2009

putting the drive in the freezer is an absolute last resort.

There are other things to try first.

Tinkey Winkey 13:23 17 May 2009

chkdsk/f K:

It fixed a few errors & was done in a few minutes.
Can't believe it worked! Judging from the repetitive sound the external HD was making I thought it had died for sure.

Windows Disk Management says the drive is Healthy.

Not sure why this happened or if everything has been restored? I am now trying to copy everything to my PCs HD as a backup. Can't copy the whole disk in one go. Looks like I've got to copy each folder individually - nearly 500GBs worth *sigh*

I've learnt my lesson though. Never gonna just keep the data on just one HD anymore. Don't suppose there's a program that can restore my lost hair from all the worry this has caused me!

Thank you Friut Bat, you're a star.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?