Ext. HDD, Best ones? Self powered?

Bobly 02:01 17 Oct 2006

Okay here's the deal.
I'm going to the US in a week and could get a external hard drive with my pocket money while I'm there. Thing is... Which to get? I'm aiming to get the most possible, 160GB at the LEAST, seeing as it's for saving all kinds of media to it while I board. But most big ones seem to need external power supplies... I can't deal with American plugs... Though I could probably just get an English adapter... Which still leaves the question...

Which make is best for external hard drives?

I wish PC Advisor had a top 10 external hard drives at the end :(

^^
Thanks for all your feedback,
Bobly

Diemmess 09:08 17 Oct 2006

Enjoy your (?)holiday, but buy your USB external HD when you return.

All external HDs require their own power supply and buying here will avoid a voltage mismatch.

If a warranty repair/replacement is needed and the Atlantic lies between you and the retailer you are in trouble.

As to the best....?

If you buy a ready-to-go, enquire for details first, but why not buy a case with its power supply and put your own choice of HD inside it. That way you know exactly what you have bought.

Bobly 10:40 17 Oct 2006

Hum... I'll see... I'm on a tight budget... I found this one that looked interesting:

USB Lacie 500GB external hard drive designed by Porsche.

Prices averaging $200-$250!

7200rpm, 11ms response rate, 8mb cache... Seems good no?

rickd 11:09 17 Oct 2006

Why not just buy/find a decent internal HD and put it in your own external caddy (that's all retailers do to justify 100% markups on externals) - save yourself £'s. I bought one of an ebayshop for around £12+PP including power supply and fan and choice of USB2/firewire connections to put a 120Gb maxtor drive I scavenged from a dead PC, but could easily have bought a new internal HD for it at much cheaper than externals go for. You'd certainly have more choice in what drive you got. I'd definitely go for one thats selfpowered, as anything running off a USB power supply is bound to be limited. I think you could then buy your US HD, and it'd be in a UK compatible power supply!

Bobly 13:42 17 Oct 2006

K thanks for the info :) I'll look into it, and if the temptation of boasting that a boring grey box was designed by Porsche is overpowering then I hope the hard drive is good, and if I resist the temptation than yay to me for being savvy :D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?