Ext CD-RW Required for DELL Laptop - Suggestions??

Jackie-209613 23:36 02 Feb 2004

I want an external CD-RW. I need suggestions.

I have a powerfull PC bundle that I am getting rid of, and am going to use my lappy. The lappy is an old (but solidly reliable) DELL Latitude C5x. 1.4 mghz processor. Running Win 2000.

I am contemplating an external CD-RW as an interim to another PC bundle. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Of course I have made my own investigations, but there are so many on the market it's a minefield. To be honest, I use the CD-RW for backup and recording MP3 or WAV and that's about it. Simple stuff.

All I need is something not too pricey but solidly reliable. The one I had with my Pc bundle drives me mad with crashes, hangs, and the rest. When it works, it's fast - 700mb cd-to-cd in 2.5 mins. But I loose so many discs because of errors it's untrue.

Any suggestions, gratefully received.

Thanks

smegs 00:16 03 Feb 2004

MissJax99, "700mb cd-to-cd in 2.5 mins" I'm not surprised U lose so many disks. Fly on the wall, Not good, At 2.5 mins!! How about a USB? Has Ur lappy got USB ports???

Jackie-209613 00:48 03 Feb 2004

I am confused. Are you saying should be faster? #

Not sure.

Anyway old PC has USB. USB on Old PC USB version 1.1.

USB on Laptop 1.1 connected to a 4-way adaptor so that I can use it for more than just one device.

Trying to keep costs down (as you may see)!!! ;-)

Thanks

smegs 12:34 03 Feb 2004

Not at all. The slower the write speed the better. I have tried Fly-On-The-Wall and had No end of problems.

smegs 12:40 03 Feb 2004

click here_(pcga-crwd1).html click here click here

Jackie-209613 15:50 03 Feb 2004

Thanks for the advice. Ah right, the slower the better. I was not sure, as you always expect speed to be a prime consideration in this area. Wll I do anyway. I am just so frustrated by the internal CD-R I have on my tower PC that causes so many problems, that I think I am just going to get rid of it and use the laptop, which is pretty reliable.

It's so bad on the PC that backup CD-RW discs with all my data end up not being readable, then the PC crashes and I lkoose all my data - which I have done again. Recording has a 50:50 success rate - literally for every CD I burm I loose one to incomplete recording etc.etc. God it does my head in.

smegs 16:14 03 Feb 2004

What software R U using???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?