Exporting images from one computer to another?

ITthicko 21:10 08 Jan 2008

I work for an Opticians, we take photos of the retina with a camera conected to a PC that runs Windows 95. We want to be able to tranfer images to another computer using windows XP. I'm not sure how to do this? Can anybody give me any pointers?
We use the same monitor for both by using some sort of diverter switch, what is this called?

Quiller. 22:09 08 Jan 2008

' what is this called? '

You are probably thinking of KVM switch.

Your best bet would be to burn them onto a cd, if the win95 machine has a cd burner.

ITthicko 22:29 08 Jan 2008

Thanks, it doesn't appear to have a CD burner. Apparently it's been done before but they can't remember how it was done. The IT person has left and it now falls on me to unravel this mystery.

MCE2K5 22:37 08 Jan 2008

A Guide to Painless Networks
Mixing Windows 9x and XP, click here

Quiller. 22:38 08 Jan 2008

If both computers have a lan socket, you could use a crossover cable to network one computer to the other.

Or place the images on a floppy disk, if both machines have floppy disk drives.

Are both machines connected to the internet? You could upload them from the 95 machine and download them to the XP machine.

FreeCell 10:38 10 Jan 2008

Do you know what format the images are stored in. Can you use Windows Explorer on the Win 95 machine and determine the file extension? (the three letters after the . on the file name). Only if it is some universal format, e.g jpg, not a specific format to the application program used on the Win 95 machine, will you be able to open it with a program on Win XP.

Post extension in a response on the forum and someone will advise you whether it can be opened using a program on XP.

Pineman100 18:34 17 Jan 2008

ITthicko

Probably the easiest of the suggestions above is to use floppy disks, provided your XP machine has a floppy drive (I assume your Win 95 one has?). Just bear in mind that one floppy disk won't hold an image file any larger than 1.44MB.

To discover the format of your picture files, right-click on the file name, then in the mini-menu left-click Properties. Among the details listed you'll see the type of file.

LANDCRUISER 00:08 22 Jan 2008

This might help you,go to QVC.COM UK the shopping channel & they sell a little gadget called TORNADO, it won the gadget of the year award last year,i think it was about £35 it open up like two pages & you just drag & drop your file across

BT 08:21 25 Jan 2008

This little gadget is USB. OK if your Win95 computer has USB connections, which is unlikely.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?