Exporting Delphi dbf files

Cosmic megastar 15:14 28 Apr 2003

I have a database built in Delphi 1 and 2, using Paradox tables, but no source codes.

I want to build a new database in something other than Delphi but don't know how to export the data (dbf files)

Can anyone help please

Bob SMS

Taran 17:39 28 Apr 2003

Well, without a lot more detail I can't guarantee that this will work, but you can normally ODBC to MySQL (preferably MySQL Server) and then back into a more common (Access, Approach, Alpha Five) format. In fact, all three programs can import from DBF tables, but Delphi sometimes presents certain challenges in getting an accurate and complete transfer from source to destination. You sometimes have to obtain an independent driver to allow your application to hook into the Delphi DBF files, since most databases assume that you will only ever want an MS DBF driver which sometimes is not sufficient to cut the mustard.

An excellent third party product you could consider is the DBF viewer available from the following link:

click here

It's a cross platform multi-format product that can read almost all DBF files from just about every program that can make them.

If you can still work on a PC with Delphi you can export to a more suitable format (.txt or .csv are easy options but others are available) which could help get you up and running. The problem here is not that the files are DBF but that they are Delphi originated.

If this is not enough to get you going, post again with as much information as possible.

Regards

Taran

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?