explorer.exe / start menu problems

fran_r_c 10:03 02 Jul 2009

Hello,

I'm having problems with my Advent 7102 Laptop. explorer.exe keeps restarting every 30 seconds or so, and takes with it my start menu and any files I have open.
Also, coinciding with this I cannot load any of my windows updates, the page takes forever to load and then freezes completely.
I recently reinstalled some drivers from AMD and am not sure if it could be a problem with those, and also I found a Trojan Vundo virus which was succesfully deleted by an anti-virus.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, am a relative novice with this and am completely stumped!

Fran.

Technotiger 10:11 02 Jul 2009

Hi, and welcome to the Forum, the best on the 'Net!

For novices my advice is to download and install click here

then run the One-click Maintenance, you do not need to make any changes to the settings. It will only take a minute or three, then click on the Repair button.

This is a grreat program to run on a weekly basis, and will generally keep your PC running smoothly - though not the be all-and-end all of programs, nevertheless well worth having, especially as it is Free.

woodchip 10:46 02 Jul 2009

If you have a Full System Operating Disc, NOT a RESTORE DISC. Put the Disc in the Comp and in the run box type

SFC /SCANNOW note space before /

birdface 11:04 02 Jul 2009

Also I would try the free version of this.
click here

If your anti-virus finds Trojan Vundo this should clear anything else out.

fran_r_c 10:59 03 Jul 2009

thanks, will try these suggestions and see if I have any joy, will post back once I have given these things a try, although I can say now I have no full system operating disc...??

Thanks guys,

Fran

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?