explorer.exe problem

david63 22:56 14 Sep 2009

When I look under the Task Manager the explorer.exe process is using up 425,000k so my PC is running slow as Ionly have 1 gig of RAM.

I've looked this up on various forums and it may be a virus but when I ran a full anti-virus scan(Zone Alarm) it reported nothing wrong.

When I look in C:/Windows I can see 2 explorer entries, one is 'explorer' which is about 1,000kb and is an application, the other is called EXPLORER and looks like a folder but is only 1kb and it says it's a 'Windows Explorer Command'

Is one of the explorer items responsible for this and how do I fix this?

birdface 10:14 15 Sep 2009

Under processes explorer.exe.Look under CPU and see if it is actually using any of the CPU.If not it is doing no harm.
If nothing running system idle process should be showing about 97% this is normal.If anything else using up a high % of the CPU let us know what.

My Explorer.exe shows 21.712k but I have just reformatted so not sure if that is normal or not.

david63 21:49 15 Sep 2009

Thanks for the advice - I found it in the end it was a virus but I should have rn the scan in the safe mode. Lesson learnt!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?