explorer.exe locking folders containing music file

Classical Gas 21:48 12 Aug 2007

I have no idea how this happened but explorer.exe is locking folders that contain some music files - mp3, wav and wma files. The files themselves are not affected and I can find ways around the problem using some utilities but the folders will not move, rename or delete in the normal way if they contain these files. I have tried 'unlocker' and 'who lock me?' but these do not solve the problem. I am not a techie and am very afraid of messing with the registry! The problem started three months ago and I have searched the web for an answer but can find no mention of the problem. Has anyone any idea why this is happening and how to fix it? My PC runs Windows XP.

skidzy 21:55 12 Aug 2007

Try taking ownership of the files click here

Classical Gas 22:16 12 Aug 2007

Thanks. I will try this tomorrow first thing as I always make mistakes at night! I will let you know if this works.

Classical Gas 15:19 13 Aug 2007

Hi, I have followed all the steps to take ownership of the folders but it has not solved the problem. I realise you said to take ownership of the files but it is not the files I am having trouble with and if I tried that it would take forever as I have thousands of music files on my computer (all legal!)

I would be very grateful for any other suggestions. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?