Explorer.exe Left Pane Folder Tree

Notsure 03:28 12 Oct 2003
Answered

Hi folks, Explorer.exe problem
Searched through the Forum and not found my problem.

With Explorer.exe in two pane mode, the Folder tree on the Left and files, folders & applications in Icon mode on the Right.

With the tree closed, Single click + to expand to the drives etc., OK
Double click on (C:) or Single click + to expand, Drive (C:) Expands to first level. OK
Single click any folder(x), the folder(x) text highlights then (C:) highlights then the selected folder(x) highlights. Not OK
ie, the previous folder is re-selected and then the new folder is selected. This selecting back and forth should not happen. However the tree has expanded.

Now Double click or Single click + to open this folder(x) or expand to the second tree level. OK
Single click any folder(y), the folder text highlights, then the previous folder(x) is selected and then the selected folder(y) highlights. Not OK
Once again the previous folder is highlighted again before returning to the selected folder.

Is this making sense because it's going to get worse, but I will keep it short

Now try collapsing the tree.
Single click folder(x), it highlights, then folder(y) highlights, then folder(x) highlights. Not OK.
However - folder(x) and the tree collapses and then expands, Folder(y) highlights, then Folder(x) highlights. And the tree is left expanded. Not OK
Now Single click - folder(x) and the tree collapses. OK
And repeating this with Drive (C:) produces the same result.
Collapsing to the Desktop is ok..

If anyone has managed to understand the above, or seen it before, please let me know the solution.
I tried to repair IE as this was recomended for other Explorer.exe problems, but was asked if I wanted to install previous version so I stopped.
Apps Works, Office, Correl Photo House Printer Bits and AOL
Toshiba satallite 1640CDT Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
Clean install using /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=C:\WINDOWS IE 5 5.50.4134.0600
AuthenticAMD AMD-K6(tm)-III Processor 64MB RAM 64% system resources free
Windows-managed swap file on drive C (2671MB free)
Available space on drive C: 2671MB of 5715MB (FAT32)

JIM 10:36 12 Oct 2003

I had a look at your problem just after you posted eary this morning.Was not sure that i understood what is going on.

Thought you had got your Windows Explorer.exe confused with internet explorer.exe.I also considered you had poss a bad update of IE5 as it appears to only have one choice in the add/remove programs for it.

Considered at some stage you may have had a virus,but you don't mention anything about a virus scan or any error messages.

I would suggest that your problem is wide spread through-out your pc and i think you have issues with your registry and corrupt files within the windows installation.

"I could also be very wrong"

You could go for a quick re-install of windows 98 over itself and see if that cures the problem. It may give you a chance to keep all software programs that are installed and running properly,if that be the case.

If it was me, i would not hesitate to reformat and do a repeat clean install of windows.

Unless someone can come up with a better idea.

Mikie 01:48 13 Oct 2003

The problem is with both Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer. With either I select View,Explorer bar,Folders. This produces a tree in the left pane and and the tree reacts the same in both. Interestingly WE has a "Go" tab where IE does not. I would have thought it should be the other way round. However looking at the shortcut properties of both, in change icon the choices are correct. Must say I have never noticed the differences due to using AOL.

Virus checker up to date and use more than one.

Did not use Add/remove progs as IE not listed, just went to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Install \Install,

Cant do a re-install of windows have no disks. OS preinstalled. This is my only problem and interesting when I speak to others they say "never seen that before" or " Win98? they all do that".
As far as I can recall my machine has always done it.
Many thanks, Notsure.

Notsure 02:21 13 Oct 2003

Dont know where Mikie came from but I am still called Notsure

JIM 12:34 13 Oct 2003

Thanks for the feedback will hope there is some one who can put the finger on your problem.

I will still have a go and post if any thing to contribute.You may also find that if there is a serial ID for win98,(normaly there would be) in the registry it may help you overcome the poss install at some stage.

where Mikie came ? :)

Mike 23:04 02 Nov 2003

Posted this problem in Computing.net and got two replies with the same problem but no solution.
I live in hope. Notsure

Mike 02:14 16 Nov 2003

To all,

Managed to repair IE by going to Run and "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g

Problem still there. There must be someone out there with the knowledge to fix this. HELP

Notsure.

hugh-265156 04:38 16 Nov 2003

"Cant do a re-install of windows have no disks. OS preinstalled"

have you not even got a recovery floppy disc? oh dear.

have you tried click here for updates?

could this be what you are on about? click here

maybe if you break your text up a little bit without the (x)s and (y)s etc,it may be a bit easier for others to comprehend.

sorry,i hope you dont take offence.just thinking more people may offer assistance if its a bit easier to read.

Mike 14:26 16 Nov 2003

huggyg71

No offense taken, constructive criticism always welcome. Yes OS preinstalled, yes recovery disc.
Looked at 119460, not the same thing, it refers to right pane, but thanks for the pointer.

With your advise does this help.

Problem in Left Pane of Explorer showing Folders
When using [+] & [-] to show and hide folders I have the problem that when using [-] to hide the folders, they don't stay hidden, they hide and then show again. If then click [-] again they stay hidden. In other words I have to [-] twice.
What is causing this?.

Notsure

hugh-265156 15:38 16 Nov 2003

ah!

so it onlt takes a single click to expand the tree but takes a double click to close it yeah?

what about this then? click here

hugh-265156 15:38 16 Nov 2003

onlt = only

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?