explorer.exe error

flowerylou 00:39 01 Jun 2003

I keep getting a recurring problem-my computer freezes after about an hour or so, it doesn't matter what i am doing whether it is on the internet or a cd rom i am playing -the message is always the same
program error : Explorer.Exe has generated an error and will be closed by windows-you will need to restart the program. An error log is being created.
I have found the error log icon in the "winnit" file and the thread is "0000005".- also I am wondering if having both the blue yonder icon internet shortcut as well as the internet explorer icon on my desktop means that two internet accesses have been set up and are conflicting. I have right clicked on the blue yonder one and it says the target is explorer.exe-has it got something to do with it-is there a conflict there do you think???
i can't seem to figure it out

Valvegrid 08:00 01 Jun 2003

Two icons pointing to the same EXE file shouldn't make any difference. Can you confirm the icons are pointing to:
IEXPLORE.EXE
Which is the executable for Internet Explorer.

Explorer.exe is a windows file.

Can you let us know what Operating System your using please? E.g Windows 2000, Windows XP, etc.

nigwel 09:02 01 Jun 2003

It sounds like Win98?

Mr Scone 09:11 01 Jun 2003

Sometimes i have a problem with explorer in win XP. I get an error message and then all the task bar/icons/etc (everything) disapears.

To show everything again and continue working i press ctrl+alt+del - go to file - new task - find explorer.exe in the windows folder and open it. Everything starts working again.

Not sure if you're having the same problem but if you are then this might be a temporary solution

MS

Wak 09:24 01 Jun 2003

Have you tried to repair IE6 ???? You haven't said what system you are running but if it is Win 98 or similar, go to Start/ Programs/ Accessories/ System Tools/ System Information/ Tools and select the IE Repair facility. You could also run the System File Checker for good measure.

flowerylou 12:49 02 Jun 2003

the system i have is windows 2000-i have tried going into the system information and then onto tools but it doesn't give me the option to repair IE6, however i have done disc cleanup and it didn't really work..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?