Explorer will not find Web Pages

BCFCBrett 11:07 23 Mar 2004

Having recently obtained Broadband, I have found myself unable serch on the net after 5-10 mins use. The modem connection is fine, and remains connected throughout, but I keep on getting 'unable to find the web page' type error messages on any site I try and visit. Before this happens everything seems to work fine. I am using XP Pro, and prior to the intillation of Broadband, my dial up service worked fine.

I was asked by Telewest to turn off my firewall, which made no difference whatsoever, so I have switched this back on again.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

I had a very similar experience some time ago, it was indeed my firewall. Try turning off or, even temporarily unistalling. Might work.

©®@$? 11:25 23 Mar 2004

have a look here click here

can you still recieve and send e-mails and does messenger still work when you cannot view any webpages the above link may possibly help

BCFCBrett 11:54 23 Mar 2004

I haven't been able to get my e-mail up and running yet either, and don't really use messenger.

I was wondering if the two problems would be connected, but have just assumed that I have overlooked something basic such as incoming/outgoing servers addresses etc...

Thanks for the responses by the way, will try all the above and see how we go!!!

JerryJay 12:15 23 Mar 2004

If you cannot access any web site, then the connection is the probelm.

I do not know about Telewest's set up, some ISP may ask you setup internet connect via proxy server. If this is the case for telewest, you need to set it on Internet option.

What firewall software you use? It may block all other traffic, so uninstall it (not just quit/exit) it completely and see what happen. If it works, install firewall again it will do some setup to allow IE access web.

BCFCBrett 12:34 23 Mar 2004

I was just using the standard XP firewall until all this happened, after switching this off at the request of Telewest, I then decided to try Norton, just basically to see if it would make any difference and to provide some protection whilst sorting this out.

I feel uncomfortable operating without a firewall, and would feel happier using one if possible.

What I don't understand with all this is why my dial up was working fine, and now I am getting all these problems with Broadband. Very, very, annoying!!! My pc should be fine as I had only recently formatted my c: drive (6 weeks or so ago) and installed XP on a blank canvas so to speak

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?