Explorer keeps opening

swanny2 21:17 28 Jan 2008

My son has just had winddows xp reinstalled etc. ive added a few spyware programs etc. and all was ok. he ,s always on Msn,but hes just told me when he opened Internet Explorer , it keeps opening,ive just looked aand its like a line going up /down on the main page as if it keeps opeening, was ok when i was on it ,putting spyware .
Any ideas please any1.
thanks
Swanny.

birdface 13:50 29 Jan 2008

He could try Tools.Internet options.Advanced.And press reset.He will loose any add-ons that he has but they can be sorted out later.

birdface 13:51 29 Jan 2008

Or maybe use Firefox until he gets it sorted.

FreeCell 18:12 29 Jan 2008

Is it opening up explorer displaying pop-up advertising? If so looks like a virus (Common on MSN if your son clicks on something seemingly sent by a "friend") Run an up to date checker in Safe mode and look out for something like Vundo virus.

mfletch 18:19 29 Jan 2008

I hope you mean AntiSpyware

Do a system restore to a point before the problem started,

You may lose the Antispyware programs though,

What programs did you install,

mfletch

swanny2 12:30 30 Jan 2008

thanks i installed spyware blaster search and destroy windows defender cc cleaner. avg and windows firewall is on. ive told hm not too click on any links,,but u know what kids r like. like talkin too a brick wall at times :O)

User-1229748 14:16 30 Jan 2008

this might be a daft question but you did install the right 'spyware blaster'?

bof:) 15:53 30 Jan 2008

swanny2 it may be worth installing a 'better' firewall, from what I understand Windows own firewall only protects one-way (not sure if its information from the internet or information to the internet it stops/checks out) so why not try one of the firewall from here:

click here

I use the free version of zone alarm (this blocks both ways) but its down to personal choice. I'm sure others on this site can advise you on this.

Mike

swanny2 16:39 30 Jan 2008

ye i was goin too add Commodo but thought the windows 1 would be ok . . might nbe a idea. but it seems too have stopped now. wierd.

bof:) 19:37 30 Jan 2008

Hi swanny2, yep very odd? I'd still have a think about using a firewall that does more than the WindowsXP one.

I'd also download and run AVG spyware finder just to be on the safe side, from here:

click here

You could always delete it later.

Also try here:

click here

scroll about halfway down the page,and run 'Shields Up', this will tell you how secure your firewall is if you are using just the WindowsXP one.

birdface 11:10 31 Jan 2008

I dont think your son will get on with any of those other Firewalls as you keep getting pop ups to allow or deny access.Although the others are better.He will only get confused.Probably better staying with Windows Firewall.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?