Explorer Has Encountered A Problem

Mark5001 10:29 02 Jul 2006

Hi All. I have a really annoying problem which has been happening for about a week. If I have windows explorer open and then run a program (Varies which one) I often get the following message.
"The instruction at 0x0385abe1 referenced memory at 0x385abe1. The memory could not be read". I have examined the event viewer and the latest error is, "DCOM error, unable to start a DCOM server". There are also references with today's date about a TV tuner card that was removed months ago.I have niether installed any new software or hardware except for 2 new DVD-Writers in the last 3 months. Any help appreciated.TIA.

andrew-196854 10:55 02 Jul 2006

you could try running a program called cc cleaner when you download the program a run it you will see a box on the left that says issues and then at the bottom scan for issues , what this does is it looks for unused registry key which may fix you problems . ps please back up the registry when it asks you and do a system restore point before proceeding , just to be on the safe side click here

johndrew 11:20 02 Jul 2006

Look at this link and see if it helps click here

Mark5001 11:37 02 Jul 2006

Thank you for your input.I have just run cc cleaner and it found a multitude of issues and I have fixed them (after backing up the registry)I will now wait and see what happens.

JOHNDREW.
Thanks. Interesting reading I will try some of the suggestions there if cc cleaner does not work.

Mark5001 07:46 08 Jul 2006

Just a note to say that everything I tried did not work. I have re-installed XP and problem no longer exists. Thanks for the help.

Mark5001 07:47 08 Jul 2006

a

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?