explorer booting up in xp

craigy1 22:08 17 Feb 2006

i know a pc that has xp on it, when they boot up the pc, windows explorer boots up with c:\ on the left and on the right it says these files are hidden.

this happens every time, they are not shutting the pc thro hibernation or standby either. they always shut the pc by the "turn off" button. so i cant understand how explorer keeps turning on at start up.

can anyone help with this?

wobblymike 22:12 17 Feb 2006

It means that explorer.exe is set to start up and that it is set in its properties to open up in Drive c - to stop it Click Start - Run type msconfig in the box hit enter - click the start up tag - fing explorer.exe and uncheck it click apply then ok and restart your PC. next time up explorer will not start.

wobblymike 22:14 17 Feb 2006

Within Windows explorer - the OS files are meant to be hidden in the way you describe. This is normal.

If you have other hard drives on the Pc or other partitions you can set explorer to open up manually in any drive you choose - if this is applicable and you want to do it post back.

craigy1 22:22 17 Feb 2006

hi all again.

although i dont have the offending pc in front of me, i think i have found the problem. i will let the person know its either what mike has said or its what microsoft have said. ie, there is a prob with the registry.

thanks for your help mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017