explore needs to close

Phil49 20:08 15 Jul 2006

I'm running Windows XP SP2. The other day my PC started to produce an eror message of the type "application encountered error and needs to close" whenever I try to access Internet Explorer, My Computer or Control Panel. I've tried sfc /scannow without success, also repaired windows from the original installation and SP2 disks from which I produced a slipstream install disk. Curiously the PC behaves itself in Safe Mode. I will probably end up doing a clean install but before I do this, does anyone have any idea what may be wrong?

skidzy 23:06 15 Jul 2006

Does this help Phil click here

Phil49 23:29 15 Jul 2006

Thanks skidzy. Have just found out via another forum that I need to disable 3rd party browser objects in IE. Have just tried this, via safe mode, rebooted in normal mode and all is ok although I've lost my Google toolbar. Can live without that, although I expect I can reinstate it without any probs - may have been another BHO that got in through my hardware and software firewalls and didn't get detected by any of my anti-spyware progs. Clever, these guys!

Cheers

VoG II 23:39 15 Jul 2006

For future reference click here

.:?:. 02:12 16 Jul 2006

note

Phil49 10:21 16 Jul 2006

Thanks VoG. Toolbar Cop worked for me, and I have reinstated the ones I want. Still haven't worked out which other BHO caused the problem though - all the other entries were declared valid by Toolbar Cop but I'll reinstate them one by one as needed and see what happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017