Exploding cd in rom/writer

MichelleC 11:47 29 Aug 2003

Anyone heard of this before?

Minding my own business in office when pistolshot noise. Looked all round pc, sniffed, nothing. Went to use Liteon cd witer 52x24x52, drawer opened and disintergrated cd fell out in bits. It had exploded. Rom wasn't even in use.

Thereafter I couldn't get to windows or safemode as w2k was checking drives for errors and caught in loop. No repairs would stop it. I tried unplugging rom, then dvd rom too. The only thing I could do was to install w2k on another drive and boot up from there. I'm trying to sort out bootup os in 'c' from 'e'.

I've got all the bits of cd out of rom but I think it's had it's day. Drawer just opens again after closing. I heard Liteons last about a year, and as there's little support it's just as easy to get new one.

seedie 11:54 29 Aug 2003

Heard of one previous occasion when a rom has disintegrated whilst spinning but certainly while idle.

Your weren't singing at the time ?

Chegs ® 12:15 29 Aug 2003

I read about this happening on the faster cd-rom's,usually caused by cheapo cdr media.Also attaching labels onto cdr,as it upsets the balance of the disc.I have a desktop image d/l off the web of a pile of cdr fragments,looks like nothing until u learn exactly what they are. :-)

MichelleC 12:16 29 Aug 2003

...La Figaro; but usually it's only glasses that break.

MichelleC 12:19 29 Aug 2003

This was an AoE RoR M$ disc. Now I'll have to buy another game. I doubt if Mr gates will give me a replacement.

sil_ver 12:24 29 Aug 2003

You probably can get a replacement if you contact the vendor. You'll need to give details of your copy.

plankton 12:30 29 Aug 2003

My daughter decided to "post" 2p into the drive while she was playing one of her games - that didnt do much good to drive or cd, but the makers sent me a new cd for postage & packing. (Shame about the drive). I wasnt completely down, I did get the 2p back!! :o)

this happened to me before with a game cd, scared the you know what out of me! I think the cd got too hot, anyway that was the end of that cdrom drive

Bodi 13:07 29 Aug 2003

If you can open the drawer of the CDRW and tip the computer forward without damaging the tray of the CD drive, you may find that there are still bits of CD in the drive. Of course you can always make up a jigsaw of the the bits and check that none are missing.

Alternatively, removing the CDRW and doing the same thing is probably easier. Also disconnecting the CDRW may make it easier for you to get the computer on course again.

Bodi

Taran 13:13 29 Aug 2003

It does not only happen on 'cheapo' drives. I've had this on some very expensive CDRW and DVD drives, both IDE and SCSI.

If there's a slight wobble in a disk, imagine how this is emphasised at the RPM most drives spin at these days.

I make standard practice of changing the drive if this happens, just to be on the safe side. A new CDRW is of little cost compared to a shiny new Office installation disk if it explodes next time you use the drive...

Normally it's a disk fault, but just to be safe I always bin the drive itself if and when it happens.

Incidentally, the very first time I had this happen resulted in a painful experience with a hot cup of coffee. My eyes still water when I remember it...

T

Bodi 13:15 29 Aug 2003

and now you choose your - er - coffee "breaks" more carefully?

Bodi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?