Explain Copy and Paste

23790954 16:29 03 Mar 2007

Although as a silver surfer, I have built and maintained several computers, the one thing that I fail to grasp is how to copy and paste. It is maybe an age thing, but I find the copy and paste on 'e' mails, web pages etc., difficult to understand. Would some kind person explain in detail to me, on how to copy and paste various text pages etc. on a computer. Thanks for all advice given.

anskyber 16:30 03 Mar 2007
  tullie 16:36 03 Mar 2007

To be honest,theres not a lot to grasp.
click and hold mouse button on one side of text you want to copy.then drag across.
Right click on highlighted text.
Click on copy.
right click on where you want it to go and click paste.

Stuartli 16:36 03 Mar 2007

If you highlight text you can also right click and use Copy and Paste instead of the Ctrl (+ C or V).

Stuartli 16:38 03 Mar 2007

The idea, of course, is that you can Copy text, pictures or whatever you require and then Paste it elsewhere, perhaps in another document or even one of these message panels.

The original text remains in its original form (but don't hit Delete in error whilst it's highlighted).

xania 16:40 03 Mar 2007

The link is not working so here's a potted version. First you need to select the text, item etc you want to copy. To do this, move your cursor to the start and press the function key <F8>, then move your cursor to the end of the selection area. You will now find that all you want to copy has been highlighted in black. Now you can either use the Edit drop down menu and select the <Copy> option or use the keyboard press <Ctrl><C> to copy the material into the clipboard (a transitory area in your system). Now open the document where you want top paste the item and merely use the Edit drop down menu and select the <Paste> option or use the keyboard press <Ctrl><V> to place a copy of the material in the new location.

Squib 16:51 03 Mar 2007

Thanks for asking that question; I have been wanting to ask it for some time.---22063452

skidzy 18:53 03 Mar 2007

if you are refering to anskyber's link,it works fine for me in Firefox and IE7 and Opera.
Looks like you may have something to sort out,sorry if bad news :-(

Z1100 19:47 03 Mar 2007

ok, A Lot.
Your Service Number could be used to 'identify you' and where you live. I would re-consider the use of it.

(paranoid) Hanx!
K.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?