Expertise on new printer purchase

salrid 23:08 04 Mar 2006

I have a really old but still great HP Deskjet 815c and a Lexmark X75 all-in-one. The Lexmark has a great scanner (although I have no benchmark to rate it against) and a rubbish printer.

I would like to make more space and get a new all in one HP. However i have been on the HP site and got bogged down with all the different ones available.

Does anyone have a good HP (or other good makes) or know of any independent sites I can look on to wade through all the bias/adverts and find out which printer to buy? Budgets ok. I don't mind spending if it lasts a while and prints/scans well.

Alan H E 23:40 04 Mar 2006

Look in pc advisors listings.

salrid 23:53 04 Mar 2006

Thanks very much Alan. Have you ever checked the PC Advisors listings?

Thats the reason I posted this cos it may be unbiased but it aint exactly easy to search the reviews.

The Old Mod 07:49 05 Mar 2006

Hi,Personally I would go with an Epson, simply because, compatible inks are so much cheaper than other makes. They are also good printers/scanners.

anskyber 10:37 05 Mar 2006

Not allowed to quote things like W? mag are we but the recent Computing edition (March) has reviewed all in ones. Best Buy; Canon Pixma MP800. Try your local library.

spuds 12:08 05 Mar 2006

That's the major problem, when you are in the market for a new printer, things can get very confusing. I have a very old HP OfficeJet 590, still chugging away today, with print cartridges still readily available.Then I have a Lexmark X5150 all-in-one, very good print-work, but expensive on cartridges. Then there's the Epson C86 for general printing work, with compatibles at less than a £1.00 each. Finally the Samsung ML-4500 laser, but that's a whole different ball game.

People seem to be recommending Canon and Epson, but be wary, as these manufacturers are getting a little strict on print cartridge replacements on the latest models.A visit to somewhere like PC World, and ask the staff what is their best selling product, could perhaps be a deciding factor.

salrid 18:31 18 Mar 2006

Thanks for all the advice, got loads to be going on with. Apologies for the 2 strings anskyber, I wasn't sure where to post. Understood ref, will try library for W mag.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?