Expert Advice Required on Backing Up.

23790954 18:01 25 Feb 2009

Hi there,
About 4 or 5 years ago, I built a desktop computer, and installed it in my daughter-in-laws hair salon, and she has used it ever since, quite successfully to keep her records and appointments on. I also installed a Freecom external drive, usb connection, on which she keeps only her salon data, and nothing else. Not Bootable. Each night she uses the Freecom software to update her records on the external Freecom drive. A couple of times since installation in her shop, the internal sata hard drive has given up the ghost, and I have fortunately been able to retrieve the data from it onto another new hard drive. She read the Freecom external hard drive as an emergency at these times. I would however like to use an external drive, which if possible would either transfer all the data, from the external hard drive onto a replacement hard drive, or be able to use the external hard drive, which has been used as back up, to be able to boot up the system. I do have a SATA2 external caddy, complete, which I could use, but I am unsure which would be the best action to take, to make an easy replacement should the original internal hard drive pack up again. I do have Acronis True Image 9 which I could use. Having viewed all previous correspondance on this subject, it appears whether or not partial data back up, (top up) is satisfactory. She would NOT want to spend 25 or 30 mins each night backing up the data.
Many thanks to all advice offered on this matter.

woodchip 18:05 25 Feb 2009

Best way as always is Acronis True Image, Creating a Image of the Drive, To External Drive and make periodic Backup as necessary with drag and drop to folders created on the ex drive or just drag the folders you want to backup then click copy

23790954 21:14 25 Feb 2009

Thanks for that woodchip. As I am a bit green when it comes to this kind of thing, can you tell me: If I made a complete copy of the original internal SATA hard drive, to the Freecom external hard drive, which incidentally copies in FAT 32 file system, and the ORIGINAL INTERNAL hard drive became corrupt, by what means would it be possible to transfer all the data back from the external Freecom Hard drive, remembering it is in FAT 32 format and NOT in NTFS format, as if the original SATA drive became corrupt, the system would not, I presume be able to boot up. This is what I am finding difficult to understand.
Thanks for your help.

woodchip 23:12 25 Feb 2009

With the Acronis disc, You start with it in the drive and external drive connected, Acronis loads to Memory and you can the Restore the image back to the Drive, or you can load it to a new Drive if it is replacing the one in the Computer

woodchip 23:14 25 Feb 2009

If the External Drive is Fat32 it would split the Image into 4Gig files, but would still restore. By Clicking on the Last file in the section To restore it would know where to look for other parts of the Restore Image

23790954 11:24 26 Feb 2009

Thanks for all your help woodchip.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?