expanding a wireless network

Dutchy11 22:29 28 Dec 2003

Hi

I have a wireless network set up and working - with a seperate BB modem, hub and access point all plugged together. The access point is a Belkin. Also plugged direct into the hub is a couple of PC's (all run Win98). A laptop (running XP pro)is connected (via PCMCIA 802.11b card)to the access point.

The house has many thick walls - so inevitably parts of the house I get no signal to pick up the access point. Not a major issue - but something I want to improve at some point. The easiest option would be to run a cat 5 cable to another location and hang another access point off it - but cannot do this due to issues putting the wires in.

My primary thing to do right now is to set up a printer on the network - but it cannot be on the current hub nor connected to the laptop. So I'm considering buying a 802.11b one port printer server (about 85 quid from dabs) - but wondering if I can solve my house coverage issue at the same time.

Will a wireless router / access point act as both a bridge to the original hub and extend my coverage in the house? I can then hang a one port print server (eg Netgear PS101) off this and solve all my issues - or do I need a seperate bridge ?

Cheers

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)