Expanding Image to fit larger screen

Sethhaniel 14:57 09 Oct 2006

Web site designed on 15" monitor - and shows well in 17" & 19" monitors except for the set stars on this page

click here

any suggestions on how to make them flex to page

gibbs1984 15:54 09 Oct 2006

Personally I don't know how to, would imagine some kind of JavaScript would do it.

PurplePenny 19:22 11 Oct 2006

In CSS give the image a width and a height in ems. That will resize the image if the user resizes the text via the browser and I *think* it also works for different resolutions.

PurplePenny 19:31 11 Oct 2006

No, I don't think that it will work because expressing that way dispalys the image in proportion to the text. If the text looks smaller at a different resolution so will the image.

It is a very difficult problem: one of the sites I've done for work looked a bit boring so I stuck in some recently discovered photos of bits of the library that no-one can see anymore. First a colleague in my office complained that the image took up far too much space (she uses 800x600) then someone else came in and complained that it looked lost because it was so small (1280x1024)

Sethhaniel 09:07 12 Oct 2006

image & text Ok
it is the coding for the 'stars of Orion' that appear on that page - that are set to exact locations on the screen and not the page -
so need another way of placing these stars :0

PurplePenny 22:07 12 Oct 2006

Sorry - misunderstood: I thought that you meant the background image stars. I didn't spot the stars on the main image.

Sethhaniel 08:37 13 Oct 2006

Yes it is a part of a work in progress project that will need a way of fixing that feature to a page size for the project to work
No good having a page with tres either side and stars in a night sky in the center then find on a different size monitor that the stars are in the trees ;)

Maybe there is a different formula for adding the stars;)

PurplePenny 15:05 13 Oct 2006

Thinking out loud...

I've never seen it done, or even mentioned, but I wonder whether you could express the absolute position as a percentage.

Sethhaniel 21:04 13 Oct 2006

Could always try
nothing to lose ;)

Sethhaniel 15:39 15 Oct 2006

just to let you know you can "express the absolute position as a percentage."

but still they move in relation to page size and the background image even as a percentage fails to tally with 'stars'

back to drawing board ;)

PurplePenny 23:58 15 Oct 2006

Interesting to know that it can be done...

shame it didn't work :-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?