Existing XP HD into new MoBo

SparkyJack 12:25 04 Mar 2011

Having installed an existing HD/WindowsXP into a machine with a replacement MoBo Windows has posted a message saying to effect
Oi! you have changed sometihng re register within 3 days.
Fair enough - but because other commitments I am not likely to complete the machine and get it back on line before the time limit.
So what is the likely out come when it does get on line after 'Time out'?

ACOLYTE 12:28 04 Mar 2011

After the Time limit it only boots to the welcome screen,and you have to click to register from there,basically it stops working.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:47 04 Mar 2011

Its usually 30 days
Activate by phone click here and explain what you have done.

SparkyJack 09:21 05 Mar 2011

Have printed of that file -will do the do when I deliver the machine- possibly this PM

mimosa418 09:35 05 Mar 2011

If it is some time since you last activated your XP you will probably not be connected to a representative but to an automated system where you have to key in a long list of numbers then receive a code in return.

SparkyJack 11:22 06 Mar 2011

Surprise Surprise
The percieved wisdom in this type of build is that the existing O/S will not 'talk' to the new MoBo and a new format and set up is required.
Indeed in the Novatech 'build sheet'- they go to great lengths to point this out.
But it run as described with the 're activate warning'
What a brezze it turned out to be
I delivered and connected it up- Got the reactivate 'click here'
Was offered a choice doing so via Internet, mail or telephone[as described by FB]
Selected Internet and the 'You are Reactivated' came back instantly.
No Code to enter or any thing
This morning the owner assailed me with a raft of E-mails - She must have stayed up all night - as she had been with out a machine since November and had pages of mails to wade through.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?