exe & lnk file not opening in XP

Bronica 13:44 18 Jan 2007

After a restart I received errors in bootup errors stated unable to open varrious exe files Windows does not know which programe created this file etc.
The desktop now has icons with lnk next to them but none of them work. When you try to launch any programe the same message about the exe files comesup.
Have researched problem on net and most suggest a virus but the instructions suggested do not work as it is impossible to get inti regedit as this is and exe. Safe mode does not help either.
Have tried repairing windows installation but that fails with similar errors about exe file and rundll32.
Soulds like a rebuild to me any other ideas?

VoG II 13:48 18 Jan 2007
  Bronica 13:54 18 Jan 2007

Tried one of these on wednesday and no luck but will try your link and let you know.

n4165si 14:43 18 Jan 2007

i had this ,and this is how i fixed it with the help of our american friends at Major Geeks. go to click here
click on "win xp fixes"
click on "file association fixes"
look for "LNK"{shortcut}file association fix.
download to desktop
extract all, to desktop.
go to Start, Run,type in , REGEDIT,click ok, click on FILE,then on Import.
click on Reg file number, click Open.
reboot.
if you want more info on this go to the Major Geeks site and look under Software ,then Help all of my icons have changed to .ink. although it is .LNK really

Bronica 15:46 18 Jan 2007

Thanks n4165si but were you able to run regedit as I can't because its an exe and windows won't run it.

n4165si 16:08 18 Jan 2007

sorry that did'nt help.i had not realised .

n4165si 16:30 18 Jan 2007

i think you will notice that Vogs fix is probably the same fix i quoted from the dougknox site ,first look for the file association EXE fix

Dan S 16:47 18 Jan 2007

I strongly doubt that Windows is unable to run any EXE files Bronica, considering that Windows Explorer is also an EXE file and that appears to be running. What is more likely is that a virus which starts once Explorer has started is making a nuisance of itself. I'm not sure if this is one of the tools VoG recommended as that page wouldn't load for me, but the McAfee website thinks [url=click here]this[/url] would do you some good. Apparently, you only need to run it and then remove the registry key for it, which can be done by going to Start>Run and typing MSCONFIG . In the 'Startup' tab, have a look for any entries that look suspicious and uncheck them, and then restart. I'm only guessing, but it appears that once you've run the registry hack you can run EXE files.

If you can, make a copy of the EXE file, and change the extenstion to COM . This may run some programs while you're troubleshooting.

Bronica 18:35 18 Jan 2007

Sorry for the delay power problems round here with the wind.
Have run both reg fixes and now can get in regedit and some programes have started up at boot. Still have dead lnk files on desk top. Anybody any ideas on the best way forward now?

VoG II 18:38 18 Jan 2007

Try a repair for LNK files click here

Bronica 18:56 18 Jan 2007

Desktop Icons back now have a slight problem with not all programes srarting up at restart ie AVG AV.
I am now running various AV scans to try to identify virus that caused problems no sucess so far.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?