Excessive Size of Windows Folder

griffon56 22:57 18 Nov 2007

The computer is a 4 year-old HP Pavilion 310 gifted to me and as received the Windows folder in the C drive is loaded with XP SP2 and shows a size of over 20GB. Can anyone tell me what typical size the XP installation is so that I can start looking for what is making the Windows folder so fat? A reference to what folders ought to be in it would also help to isolate outsiders. I've searched PCA Forums without success.

brundle 22:59 18 Nov 2007

Around 3.6gb on this machine. Take a look at the folder with Spacemonger (don't need the paid-for version, the free one works perfectly well) - click here

Obviously, you need to be fairly careful what you delete from the Windows folder....

griffon56 13:07 19 Nov 2007

Thanks Brundle, I thought it was about that and thanks too for the link I'll have a go at isolating the culprit(s).

griffon56 08:16 20 Nov 2007

Hi Brundle, I found that a previous owner had somehow added the My Docs folder complete with Pictures, to the Windows folder making it 16.9GB bigger than it ought to have been. With that out of the way the Windows folder is 5.69GB split mainly between 'System 32', 'i386' and 'Installer' folders.

Thanks for that, the hard drive is a lot thinner than it was, but there's still a lot of stuff on it I know in my gut is just useless junk connected with earlier programs but I don't know what to delete. Anyhow there's now over 45GB of free-space so I'm happy with that. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?