excess memory

karmgord 17:40 26 Jan 2007

I have a dual boot xp pro/win98se PC with 1gig of ram .Now i know 1gig is too much for 98se(it can't use that amount so slows it down) so i've limited the 98se to 512. Now heres my question,with the "spare" 512 can i set up a ram disk and use it as fast virtual memory? If so can somebody post the exact lines that i need so that i can copy and paste them into the config.sys & autoexec.bat
P.S can you have a 512mb virtual disk? if so could you paste the lines for me to try regardless.

sean-278262 19:42 26 Jan 2007

As far as I am aware there is no way to do this as the ram doesnt appear as a drive to the system. There may be a way. There was an application to load windows to ram, which speeded boot time and the like drastically. However I dont think you can use the spare ram as you want. It would be a good idea and probably can be programmed to make it happen but I know of nothing.

click here
This may be of interest to you.

For XP and 2000 only

Go to Start -> Run and type regedit. From there follow this path. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> Session Manager -> Memory Management. Right click on the DisablePagingExecutive DWORD value, change its value to 1, save and reboot.

This will load windows to the ram completely. However I dont know of one for 98.

Simsy 19:59 26 Jan 2007

Cacheman, 4th down the list.

I used it very successfuly with win98 and 768Mg RAM

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 20:00 26 Jan 2007

here's the link;

click here

Regards,

Simsy

karmgord 20:38 26 Jan 2007

ram disks where definately a feature possible with windows earlier versions of windows, they are seen as hard drives yet they are areas of ram and anything on then is lost on exit but this is ideal for virtual memory or tamp folders

woodchip 21:09 26 Jan 2007

If you download Cacheman you can use the full 1Gb of memory. It a Memory Manager click here

You should only load this in 98

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires