"excellent" wireless signal but no net connection

mrwoo 15:43 21 Jul 2006

Hi,

I have connected a linksys wrt54gs router to my telewest broadband to use with my laptop which has integrated Intel Wireless 802.11g. The wireless icon on my task bar shows excellent connection, 54.0mbps, connected but I can't connect to the internet (I'm using a wired connection for this) I get the standard could not connect error page.

Are there any hidden settings I'm missing? I'm running IE and Firefox 1.5.0.4 and IE 6.

Thanks

ade.h 16:12 21 Jul 2006

Have you created a permission in your client firewall? Did it prompt you?

dms05 16:54 21 Jul 2006

Under TCP/IP have you set 'Obtain IP address automatically' and 'Obtain DNS automatically'? Left click on your WiFi Network Icon, select Status then Properties, highlight TCP/IP and click on Properties.

mgmcc 18:03 21 Jul 2006

If you have just connected the router to your Cable Modem, have you followed the correct procedure?

It is *essential* that you power off the Cable Modem and leave it without power for two or three minutes, so that it "releases" the association between your existing connection (recognised by its MAC address) and the IP address that it has allocated to it. After a couple of minutes, you should power on the Cable Modem and wait for it to be fully booted with four lights displayed and then boot the router. It will recognise a new connection and allocate a new IP address to it. Once the router has booted (the power light is steady), boot the PC.

mrwoo 20:28 21 Jul 2006

the PC Advisor crowd have come up trumps again! Thanks very much for your replies. It seems I hadn't followed the correct procedure as suggested by mgmcc.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?