Excel Protection Problems

Pine Man 12:22 18 Nov 2009

I have password protected an Excel spreadsheet and a copy named 'ONE' is saved to my documents. The only way to open this sheet is now with a password and I thought it was safe!

I prepared another spreadsheet named 'TWO', which was not protected and saved this to my documents as well.

Both names are fictitious BUT, by mistake, after editing spreadsheet 'TWO' I saved it as 'ONE'. It completely overwrote the contents of 'ONE' without asking for a password and the original contents were lost!!

How can I prevent this sort of thing happening again?

Pine Man 12:23 18 Nov 2009

.. I am using Excel 2007 - forget that bit.

Sea Urchin 12:38 18 Nov 2009

I don't know how you managed to do that - I've just tried to recreate the same situation, and I get a prompt saying 'File ONE already exists - do you want to replace it?' Yes or No.

However, maybe you could also have a password to protect the file being modified - and there should be an option to always create a backup when saving.

KremmenUK 12:57 18 Nov 2009

Give this a whirl:

click here

Pine Man 12:57 18 Nov 2009

Thanks for your reply.

I think that when I was asked if I wanted to replace it I answered Yes:-(

Would your suggestion be to protect the worksheet or workbook or protect and share. These are the three options I have.

VoG II 13:02 18 Nov 2009

Protecting workbooks or worksheets has no effect on whether you can overwrite or simply delete files. Protection is simply to protect the structure (workbook) or content (worksheet). It is also notoriously insecure.

Pine Man 13:12 18 Nov 2009

Thanks both for your input.

I have just done a few tests, which confirm what VoG™ says.

I really must be more careful in future;-)

Thanks again. I'll tick this as resolved.

Pine Man 15:47 18 Nov 2009

Thanks for that. It's exactly what I need.

For some reason your post didn't arrive until after I had replied to VoG™ & Sea Urchin and then resolved the issue with a tick?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone