Excel Problem

Chas49 15:37 31 Aug 2008

Years ago I wrote a program to enable my eighbour to run large tennis tournaments, ie:- over 500 players. I built a protection system into the program where, it tried to open a text file before it would run. The text file was stored on the C drive where the program could find it.

Now, 4 years later I want to open the program to get at the VBA code which runs it. Fate being what it is I have tried every permutation of what I 'think' is the file name so that I can recreate it.

Does anyone know of a way to access the code? I as thinking of a program which would read the .xls file. I do't know what program it is but it lists the numbers representing the ASCII code on the left and the alpha characters on the right - I ould then search through that and locate the actual text filename. I'm sure that someone knows what I mean, at least I hope so g>

VoG II 15:53 31 Aug 2008

I just tried opening an Excel file containing VBA using this free hex editor click here and I could just about 'read' the code. However, I got just as good if not better results by opening it in Notepad.

If you need to retrieve the password for a protected VBA project click here works but is not free.

Chas49 16:27 31 Aug 2008

Many thanks VOG. The Hex Editor was difficult to read - so I took your advice regarding the opening of an .xls file in Notepad. It was a very large file and, wouldn't you know it, the information was at the very end - but it was there!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017