excel & phone numbers

osben 10:17 07 Oct 2004

Hi

Using Excel XP. When I type in a number begining with zero, the zero will not stay their when I move to another cell, unless I format the cells to "text"

However when a number is inserted after formating cell as "text" I get the green tag up in the corner of the cell. Is their any way of stopping this happening.

Am I using the correct formating on the cell to enable me to keep zero's in front of a number or should I use another format other than "text"

Regards

The_Gog 10:22 07 Oct 2004

generally Excel is for Accoutancy, sums - whatever, if you need to store leading zeroes, you need to either customize the cell or, more easily, format it as text.

Ia it's a phone number it is unlikely you will be using the number in calculations, so the fact it is formatted as text should not matter.

The green tab is the auto-error checking thiny, I believe you can turn it off if you want, it just allows quick access to soem conversion of the cell contents and a few other options.

spargo 10:23 07 Oct 2004

osben

Format as text is correct, but make sure all the cells you want to use are included in the text format.

VoG II 10:27 07 Oct 2004

Format as Special, phone number.

Gongoozler 10:29 07 Oct 2004

If you put a ' before the number, it will be stored as text even if the cell is formatted as General or Number, and the ' won't be displayed. You still get the green thingy though.

The_Gog 10:30 07 Oct 2004

When I looked in my Excel (2002 SP1), there's nothing in the right hand pane when you click Special?

VoG II 10:39 07 Oct 2004

There is here (XL 2000) and at home (XL 2003).

osben 10:55 07 Oct 2004

Thanks for the help

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)