Excel 'Modified by' history

Picklefactory 12:02 21 Nov 2007

Hello folks
I remember reading somewhere, I know not where now, that by opening an Excel file in another software program, somehow showed the names of the people who'd opened or saved it last. I seem to remember that it was an accidental find by the person concerned, and was definitely nothing that was designed, or indeed, intended for this purpose. It was something he did inadvertently, and just happened to notice that this info got displayed in some form. I thought it was by using Notepad, but I've tried that and cannot find what I'm looking for. Anyone else come across it, as my memory has failed me entirely?
Thanks

VoG II 13:09 21 Nov 2007
  Picklefactory 13:14 21 Nov 2007

VoG™
How do you do it??? That is the exact article I read, although I've been using Notepad (Memory maybe not so bad after all) and can't see any names. But that is what I was looking for.
Thanks VoG™ (Again)

Picklefactory 13:20 21 Nov 2007

PS. Just tried it again, and unfortunately it doesn't seem to work for me, I've searched an Excel file in Notepad, and my name doesn't appear. We only have Office 97 at work, so maybe it predates this feature?

Picklefactory 13:27 21 Nov 2007

Ah, that would be it then! The username field in Options is empty for some reason. I've never looked at this before (Had no need), and have no clue if it is a manually input field or should draw from our network login? There's nothing there anyway, so nothing to be embedded into .xls file.
Bugger!! Oh well, never mind.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?