Excel learning.

john bunyan 19:25 10 Feb 2010

I have used Lotus 123 for more than 20 years and can write macros and create spreadsheets easily, and link spreadsheets to Freelance. Now I have moved to W7 64 bit I have bought MS Office 2007 and incuding Excel. I tried reading a library book to learn it but find it very confusing as I keep trying to think through "Lotus" knowledge - can anyone suggest a quick way of learning the basics like entering data, adding, sorting by number or alphabet etc.The book was very opaque.

john bunyan 19:27 10 Feb 2010

PS I cannot run my PC in virtual XP mode as the motherboard is unsuitable, otherwise I would have stayed with .123 . I have W7 ult, 64bit.

VoG II 19:28 10 Feb 2010

Try asking some specific questions - I think you'll get a better response.

MAJ 19:34 10 Feb 2010

Open Excel and play around with it, john bunyan, go to the help files, click on "Training" click here

john bunyan 19:37 10 Feb 2010

Thanks. For example in .123 just to add nunbers in a column you enter @sum in the place you want the sum and highlight the numbers by starting at the top and shift and highlight the colunm of numbers. IN Excel I think you enter a + sign. To copy in .123 you use the /copy command - then there is the @abs etc. I was just wondering if there was a book that gives the Lotus and Excel equivalents, as Lotus was once the leader in this field. Also eg if you want a number to appear as text in Lotus you put ', " or ^ in front.

john bunyan 19:39 10 Feb 2010

Thanks to both of you for quick responses. I will go back to self teaching as suggested. Annoyed that although Lotus lets you save in Excel, the latter can't open .123.

john bunyan 19:41 10 Feb 2010

Good link. Will have to negotiate with "She who must be obeyed" to spend even more time on the PC !!
marking as resolved.

VoG II 19:44 10 Feb 2010

To enter a formula

=

To enter text '

MAJ 19:55 10 Feb 2010

I loved playing with i23, john bunyan, I still use it from time to time, but it's been so long since I last did. I use Lotus 97, that'll show you how far back I am with it, lol. Everything was dead easy to access in it.

MAJ 19:55 10 Feb 2010

Obviously I meant 123....

john bunyan 20:26 10 Feb 2010

Thanks again to both - I am an old dog that will have to learn new tricks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?