Excel learning.

john bunyan 19:25 10 Feb 2010

I have used Lotus 123 for more than 20 years and can write macros and create spreadsheets easily, and link spreadsheets to Freelance. Now I have moved to W7 64 bit I have bought MS Office 2007 and incuding Excel. I tried reading a library book to learn it but find it very confusing as I keep trying to think through "Lotus" knowledge - can anyone suggest a quick way of learning the basics like entering data, adding, sorting by number or alphabet etc.The book was very opaque.

john bunyan 19:27 10 Feb 2010

PS I cannot run my PC in virtual XP mode as the motherboard is unsuitable, otherwise I would have stayed with .123 . I have W7 ult, 64bit.

VoG II 19:28 10 Feb 2010

Try asking some specific questions - I think you'll get a better response.

MAJ 19:34 10 Feb 2010

Open Excel and play around with it, john bunyan, go to the help files, click on "Training" click here

john bunyan 19:37 10 Feb 2010

Thanks. For example in .123 just to add nunbers in a column you enter @sum in the place you want the sum and highlight the numbers by starting at the top and shift and highlight the colunm of numbers. IN Excel I think you enter a + sign. To copy in .123 you use the /copy command - then there is the @abs etc. I was just wondering if there was a book that gives the Lotus and Excel equivalents, as Lotus was once the leader in this field. Also eg if you want a number to appear as text in Lotus you put ', " or ^ in front.

john bunyan 19:39 10 Feb 2010

Thanks to both of you for quick responses. I will go back to self teaching as suggested. Annoyed that although Lotus lets you save in Excel, the latter can't open .123.

john bunyan 19:41 10 Feb 2010

Good link. Will have to negotiate with "She who must be obeyed" to spend even more time on the PC !!
marking as resolved.

VoG II 19:44 10 Feb 2010

To enter a formula

=

To enter text '

MAJ 19:55 10 Feb 2010

I loved playing with i23, john bunyan, I still use it from time to time, but it's been so long since I last did. I use Lotus 97, that'll show you how far back I am with it, lol. Everything was dead easy to access in it.

MAJ 19:55 10 Feb 2010

Obviously I meant 123....

john bunyan 20:26 10 Feb 2010

Thanks again to both - I am an old dog that will have to learn new tricks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017