Excel help please

Mike D 15:05 17 Feb 2006

I am sure that this will be a simple one for the Excel experts out there.

A small tutorial business, which charges its students £x per lesson, payable each lesson, currently uses a straight forward workbook, which comprises on sheet per day to log attendance and payments for each student ( obviously with totals for each day and each week). This works fine as up until now the inputting has been done by the proprietor; there will soon be a change and someone else will be working on the Workbook (someone who the proprietor does not want to have access to the whole book). This raises two questions:

1 Can the Workbook be locked except for the current day's register
or
2 Can the current day's register be a separate workbook/sheet, which is linked to the original workbook, which, in turn, would need to be inaccessible to the new person.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Mike

VoG II 15:25 17 Feb 2006

The easiest option would be to hide the sheets that the proprietor does not want the inputter to see. That should be sufficient unless it is suspected that the inputter will try to unhide hidden sheets. Even then it is possible to make them not appear in the list of sheets that can be unhidden by using a macro along the lines of:

Sub HideEm()
Sheets("Sheet1").Visible = XLVeryHidden
End Sub

To unhide that sheet

Sub UnHideEm()
Sheets("Sheet1").Visible = True
End Sub

Mike D 15:34 17 Feb 2006

Thanks VoG™. I will try this. I have marked as resolved and will repost if necessary.

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?