Excel Headache (Part 2)

dougal720 11:33 20 Sep 2006

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all previous comments they were a great help. (Sorry VoG, i did reply to the last post although i was on hols last week.)

Got a new one for ya'll

Same spreadsheet as the last one and it is turning out to be a bit of a monster.

Esentially i want to know if there is a "contains" function in excel...

I have a cell that i am trying to reference from say A1="Apples"

In my data range however the reference is say "Apples1" or "Apples2" or "Apples3" etc.

what i want to do is do a vlookup on cell A1 and search for any reference with "Apples" as part of it which therefore would return "Apples1","Apples2","Apples3".

Hope this makes sence and any help would be much appreciated. Bear in mind though that i can't install any extras to my excel as it would render the sheet useless were i to send it to anyone.

Cheers

ArrGee 11:41 20 Sep 2006

Until the VoG replys with a probably better answer than this, have you tried Apples* as a vlookup?

VoG II 11:49 20 Sep 2006

I wonder if this VBA solution click here might help, substituting xlPart for xlWhole.

dougal720 11:49 20 Sep 2006

unfortunately that won't work as really i need to reference apples i.e. vlookup(a1,range,etc....) because apples is likely to change.

i figure there has got to be a way to do it because you can filter and conditional format with a contains proviso..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?