Strange happenings with an Excel workbook!! I designed this workbook two or three years ago and have had no problems until the last two weeks. The workbook is basically a collection of worksheets for monitoring equipment usage. One of the sheets is updated on a weekly basis and the monthly usage tallied in the last column using a "countif" function and then, using "Save as" and re-naming with the next weeks date, is saved ready for the next week. Problem is, with the last two weeks sheets the "countif" function hasn't worked. However, if I open the last working sheet and then open one or other of the non-working versions, they work. Also, if I open a non-working version and then open the working version, the working version doesn't work! The only way I've found to resolve this is to open the working version, update the data, and save it back out and everything works O.K. I just wondered if any of you clever chappies had an explanation - I'm stumped. Apologies for the lengthy post.
but it might help to know if there are any macros in the workbook? If so does it work if macros are disabled?
Are there any volitile "time" functions in use, i.e. =today() or such like?
In the sheet that doesn't work do you have cells or sheets locked?
It might be just a corrupt workbook. From the way you've described it you don't have a blank template, but just resave an ammended version each time. If I've got that right I'd open one of the working copies, delete all of the data and save it as a template... Then start a new doc based on the template and copy/paste all the data from the non functioning one into the new document.
Thanks for the input. The two problem ones must have some sort of corruption then as no macros etc. involved and, doing as you suggested Simsy using a working copy and re-entering the data, creates a working version again. Ah well, keeps life interesting.
Thanks for the response.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.