Excel formula weirdness

interzone55 08:39 09 Mar 2006

I've got an Excel spreadsheet that has several rows, with a sum at the bottom of each row.

There is also conditional formatting that changes the cell colour if the contents of the cell on the left are different.

This sheet worked perfectly yesterday, but this morning it has decided to stop working properly. The sums don't add up unless I actually click in the sum cell.

The conditional formats don't work either.

Also if I copy the SUM cell across it just displays the value in the original cell but the formula bar displays the correct SUM formula.

Anyone know what's causing this?

Jdoki 08:43 09 Mar 2006

Sounds a bit odd...

Have a look in Tools -> Options -> Calculation

to see if the 'Automatic' radio button is checked. It should be.

interzone55 08:52 09 Mar 2006

Our IT bod just pointed that option out to me, I haven't the slightest clue how the manual option came to be checked, apparently there is a keyboad shortcut to turn it on and off, but he doesn't know what it is.

GroupFC 09:11 09 Mar 2006

I think it might be F9. I have sometimes hit that by mistake and wondered why my calculations have gone pear-shaped!

Jdoki 10:17 09 Mar 2006

Use of F9 in Excel (from MS Excel help)...

Press F9 Calculates formulas that have changed since the last calculation, and formulas dependent on them, in all open workbooks. If a workbook is set for automatic calculation, you do not need to press F9 for calculation.

Press SHIFT+F9 Calculates formulas that have changed since the last calculation, and formulas dependent on them, in the active worksheet.

Press CTRL+ALT+F9 Calculates all formulas in all open workbooks, regardless of whether they have changed since last time or not.

Press CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+F9 Rechecks dependent formulas, and then calculates all formulas in all open workbooks, regardless of whether they have changed since last time or not.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017