Excel formula wanted for a lottery draw

capnsofa 17:15 11 Feb 2006

I am organising a draw competition for my Sports Club, which requires the players to nominate a line of 6 numbers between 1 and 49. These will be checked against the National Lotto numbers each Saturday and any that match will be crossed off. The winner will the person(s) who is/are the first to have all 6 numbers crossed off.
As I am hoping for anything up to 100 lines for each draw, is there a formula I can put in an Excel spreadsheet which will check these for me when I enter the National Lotto numbers each week?

VoG II 17:25 11 Feb 2006
  pj123 17:51 11 Feb 2006

VoG™ is so much better than I am using Excel.

I have been running a Lottery Swindle (I still like to call it Lottery rather than Lotto) since the very first draw.

I have written an excel file that will check up to 80 lines. I can extend it if required.

I also run "what we call a lottery bingo draw". That is Members pick 6 numbers from 1 to 49 but only the Bonus number is checked (Wednesday and Saturday)

You are welcome to try either or both of these checkers. Just email me via the envelope and I will email them to you.

pj123 14:34 13 Feb 2006

My Lotto checker has been emailed to you.

Hope you find it useful.

pj123 15:09 14 Feb 2006

Have had an email from capnsofa saying my checker doesn't work but he also says that he is not running Excel but Openoffice. Does that mean that Openoffice cannot read Excel Macro's?

Any chance that VoG™ might read this and point us in the right direction. Alternatively, if VoG™ is reading this would he be willing to accept an email with this checker and look at the Macro to see if it needs editing to run under Openoffice?

VoG II 16:10 14 Feb 2006

As far as I am aware Excel macros will not run in OpenOffice and vice versa.

I'm afraid that I'm not at all familiar with OpenOffice and so I can't really offer any constructive help.

pj123 16:28 14 Feb 2006

OK so there we have it. VoG™ believes the same as me. Which means that Openoffice is not really compatible with MS Office. Unless someone knows different.

Very sorry, capnsofa. I did my best but you did say in your original post that you were using Excel. Quote. "is there a formula I can put in an Excel spreadsheet which will check these for me when I enter the National Lotto numbers each week?"

Now it transpires that you are not using Excel.

capnsofa 23:16 14 Feb 2006

Many thanks for all the help that has been offered.
Apologies for my misleading original comments - this is why I'm using the 'Absolute Beginners' forum!!!
Still I'm living and learning!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?