Excel Files Attachments to emails - cannot be opened by recipient

Tammy Troot 08:18 04 May 2015
Answered

I am Secretary to a small bowling club and I complete the draws for knockout competitions by using Excel spread sheets. When I email these Excel (xlr) files to members as attachments, some can open them and some can not. Is there anything I could be doing to enable these non-receivers to open the files? Is there anything these recipients could do to remedy the situation at their end?

alanrwood 08:57 04 May 2015
Answer

Are you saving the XL file as a .xlsx format which is the default for Excel 2007 onwards.

Some of your members may be running earlier versions which can not open these files. There is a Microsoft conversion add on but the easiest way to cure this is for you to save the files in .xls format which you can select in the lower box when saving the file. You can also select .xls as the default format for all new XL files by selecting this in the Options. All versions of XL can open .xls files so you lose nothing unless you are using some of the more special faciliies of an xlsx format.

john bunyan 09:02 04 May 2015

My Excel files have the extension .xls, not .xlr, which I suspect are generated by the old Microsoft Works 9. I suggest, if you are using Works, you update to a newer version of Microsoft Office, which will generate .xls fioles, which will be more universally recognised. The attached is a way of opening them, but your subscribers may not wish th follow it!

.xlr to .xls

Secret-Squirrel 09:29 04 May 2015

"....... these Excel (xlr) files..."

As already mentioned, XLR files are in the Microsoft Works Spreadsheet format - so are you using Works or Excel? If it's the latter then read on:

" Is there anything I could be doing to enable these non-receivers to open the files?"

Later versions of Excel allow you to save files in the PDF format which means everyone will be able to read them - even those using tablets or smartphones.

alanrwood 10:24 04 May 2015

Sorry missed the xlr reference.

Check click here

Secret-Squirrel 07:56 05 May 2015

Sorry Tammy but I don't respond to requests for email contact. This thread is the best place to discuss your problem or any questions you may have.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone