Excel Files

dogbreath1 09:13 28 Aug 2010

I understand that MS Excel Viewer will enable .xls files to be opened, viewed and printed, but not 'edited'.

Does this not 'edited' extend to the input of data into a blank cell and the subsequent display of results?

If the viewer will not permit a sheet to be 'used', is the only available alternative to expensive spreadsheet software, OpenOffice? A few on here are not too impressed with this prog.

VoG II 09:59 28 Aug 2010

Looks like it is pretty limited click here

dogbreath1 11:40 28 Aug 2010

Thanks for the response, VoG™.

Anyone got any 'critical' comments on OpenOffice?

robin_x 11:59 28 Aug 2010

I have been an MS customer since the days of DOS. Including Word/Excel/Access. I was very agreeably surprised by how compatible Open Office was with Word and Excel.

Dunno about databases now, you will have to hunt around if you want one.

A great freeware site for all sorts of things and reviews and links is gizmos

click here

mgmcc 12:27 28 Aug 2010

Microsoft has a free online Office Suite where you can work with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote as part of Windows Live. Files can be transferred between the website and your PC. click here

dogbreath1 12:31 28 Aug 2010

@ robinofloxley - Thanks for that. Provided that OO supports .xls files adequately, I'm satisfied.

@ mgmcc - Thanks, also. But, it's a PC based system I require.

Sea Urchin 13:04 28 Aug 2010

An alternative to Open Office posted on this forum a week ago which looks very good

click here

dogbreath1 13:35 28 Aug 2010

Thanks for the alternative. Here's a link to SoftOffice 2006 for the convenience of those who may wish to try it.

click here

wiz-king 13:55 28 Aug 2010

You may have a bit of trouble in OpenOffice if the speadsheet has complicated macros in it otherwise it works well.

dogbreath1 14:43 28 Aug 2010

No macros yet....but I am considering adding at least one or two to create 'print' buttons for two separate areas of the front sheet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?