Excel to email

ArrGee 21:41 09 Apr 2008

I have a list of 27 email addresses in Excel and need to use these to send out a newsletter. I normally get this amount each month and am sending out newsletters by manually copying the address from Excel, pasting into Outlook, adding the attachment (newsletter pdf) and pressing send. It takes up a half of my working day!

The newsletter is the same in each case. The subscribers to the newsletter is slowly growing, so I would prefer not to spend a whole day cutting and pasting addresses1

Is there an easier way to do this?

Many thanks in advance.

VoG II 22:41 09 Apr 2008

You may be able to e-mail 'directly' from Excel. There is a lot of example code by Ron de Bruin click here and an add-in click here but these are all to do with sending Excel files (or parts thereof).

Take a look. If you see something potentially useful we can probably modify it to send a PDF.

VoG II 22:48 09 Apr 2008

In fact here's some suitable code in Franglais - click here

So it appears perfectly do-able.

Simsy 22:48 09 Apr 2008

is create a "distibution list".

I don't know which version of Outlook you have, but in the 2003 version it's via the File menu,
New>distribution list.

Regards,

Simsy

ArrGee 08:17 10 Apr 2008

I'll check out both routes.

I'm currently using Outlook 2007, but if there is a better mailer dedicated to this kind of task...

Terry Brown 09:56 10 Apr 2008

Create a file with the Email addresses and save it in CSV format (in excel scroll down until you see the CSV option.)
Open your Outlook account and select (From FILE), select other address book, on the browse option find your file and select OK. Your addresses are now in the address book of your Outlook.
Problem solved.
Terry

ArrGee 10:19 10 Apr 2008

Thanks Terry.

Do you know if there is a limit to the number of addresses that Outlook can hold?

Picklefactory 11:16 10 Apr 2008

I use Outlook 2007 and currently have over 300 contacts.
Are you sending to the same people each time, but just adding extra people to the existing list?
If so, then Simsy is spot on. You need to add your Excel email addresses into Outlook as Contacts (You can probably import your existing Excel list, straight into Outlook), then create a Distribution List (Ctrl+Shift+L in XL 2007), add the contacts you wish to send to and give the list a name. Then each time you send your .pdf, all you do is select the Distribution List from your address book and send.
Sounds too easy, have I misunderstood something?

Picklefactory 11:19 10 Apr 2008

Depending on how big you think your list might get, you may have problems with this method later.
click here
Seems 60 - 120 might be the limit for a single distribution list.

Picklefactory 11:30 10 Apr 2008

Re: number of addresses Outlook can hold, you should be OK, I think it's around 65,000. But single sending to a growing list will be the issue.

I have some code that auto sends a fixed email directly from Excel on opening the file, not sure if any brighter people than me might be able to adapt it to select addresses from the list and include .pdf.

Sub auto_open()
Dim Cell As Object
' If the values in J14:J74 are greater than 1...
For Each Cell In Range("SHEET1'!J14:'SHEET1'!J74")
If Cell > 1 Then

Dim objol As New Outlook.Application
Dim objmail As MailItem
Set objol = New Outlook.Application
Set objmail = objol.CreateItem(olMailItem)
With objmail
.To = "[email protected]"
.CC = "[email protected]"
.Subject = "USUAL MESSAGE"
.Body = "ANY MESSAGE YOU LIKE"
.NoAging = True
.Display
End With
Set objmail = Nothing
Set objol = Nothing
SendKeys "%{s}", True
End If
Next Cell
End Sub

Godd luck

Picklefactory 11:31 10 Apr 2008

.............Good luck!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires