Excel crashing

oo7juk 13:08 18 May 2007

Hi,

I've been working on a spreadsheet at work and at home. The version I have at work is 2002 and the version I have at home is 2003. Last night I used conditional formatting on a column and saved. When i went to work I opened file and tried to enter data, but excel just crashed with the following message ' microsoft excel has encoutered a problem and needs to close' Is there anyway I can fix this. For info I can update spreadsheet ok at home.

Many thanks.

VoG II 13:18 18 May 2007

Try Detect and Repair on the Help menu.

TonyV 13:19 18 May 2007

Try opening Excel, then Help/Detect and Repair. Alternatively, sometimes it works if you switch off the machine, wait a couple of minutes and then switch back on again.

TonyV

TonyV 13:20 18 May 2007

Oops! The man, VoG™, is too fast!

TonyV

oo7juk 13:31 18 May 2007

Unfortunately, because I'm at work I don't have their installation disc. When I saved the file originally at home I saved the file type as microsoft excel workbook (default.) Someone mention that I should save doc as version 2002 and it should work, but it didn't. When I open the doc and the message pops up asking if I want to disable I click 'no' it lets me update, but the combo box won't work. If I click enable it just crashes. for info my security setting is set at medium.

Many thanks,

VoG II 14:16 18 May 2007
  skeletal 18:31 18 May 2007

Something else to consider is that you may have things in your spreadsheet that are only supported by the 2003 version. Trying to operate them in 2002 can cause problems.

Skeletal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017