Excel copy and paste poser

Kypros 15:10 27 Feb 2004

When I want to copy a range of cells in Excel, there exists a "marching ants" dotted line around the copied area during and after I've pasted it.
Should it still be there after I've finished pasting, and what should I do to stop it? My way of getting shot of the lines is by hitting escape but that doesn't seem to be the way I'd plan it if I'd designed the process. What am I doing wrong?

johnnyrocker 15:14 27 Feb 2004

just click elsewhere in the sheet

johnny.

Kypros 15:19 27 Feb 2004

Johnny - I wouldn't have posted this if it was that simple. The marching ants are there until I hit escape no matter how many times I select other cells. I can also hit F9 to calculate which stops them too.

tbh72 15:25 27 Feb 2004

No, I think it assumes that because you have copied, there is a chance that you will make multiple pastings.

I have tried this a notice this isn't the case when you CUT & PASTE.

I favour the escape key if no further calculations are required.

Kypros 15:29 27 Feb 2004

tbh72 - Yeah, I agree, but it makes me wonder what Microsoft expects the user to do other than hit F9 or the escape key at every paste when you are not on autocalc.

Eric10 15:48 27 Feb 2004

To sum up what has already been said. When you copy a cell or group of cells, the source of your copy remains active so long as it is unchaged so that you can copy in multiple places if you wish. You can press Esc to cancel the area or simply click and start to type in another cell as you would in a normal working environment. I think this is what johnnyrocker meant.

If you cut, then the area doesn't stay active because the source has changed. Also if you copy an area and then paste with the insertion point in a cell that is part of the copied ara then again the source will have changed so it doesn't stay active.

It seems quite logical to me.

Kypros 15:54 27 Feb 2004

Eric 10 - Talk about wood and trees! I had not realised that by simply typing into another cell it would get rid of the selected area dots. By always hitting escape I had made a wrong assumption. Anyway, it takes all kinds and thats what this website is for so thanks a lot.

johnnyrocker 20:14 27 Feb 2004

that was my point exactly but not put as well as eric 10.

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?