Excel chart problem - second axis

Drpeter 16:16 20 Oct 2008

I want to add a second Y axis to a chart – and get the following help message:-
"Add a second axis
When the range of values for different data series in a 2-D chart varies widely, or when you have mixed types of data (such as price and volume), you can plot one or more data series on a secondary value (y) axis. The scale of the secondary axis reflects the values for the associated series.
1. Click the data series you want to plot along a secondary value axis.
2. On the Format menu, click Selected Data Series, and then click the Axis tab.
3. Click Secondary axis"

The only snag is that there is no such option on the Format menu! (or anywhere else)
I use Windows XP Professional SP3 and my Excel version is 10.0.6847 part of Office XP Pro.
Can anyone help, please?
Many thanks!

scotty 17:07 20 Oct 2008

I just tried this at I see the secondary axis option. When you select a data series by clicking on that line on the graph the series will be highlighted. With this highlighted, I selected Format and there are two options, "Selected Data Series" or "Sheet". The version I am using is Excel 2003.

Drpeter 16:15 21 Oct 2008

Many thanks, scotty!
Your answer helped me to look for the format on the second series marker - not in the menus. However, because my second series was a four figure one and the first series a six figure one - and that did not start at 0 - the second series did not show on the graph. By putting a spurious high figure into the 2nd series I was able to see a marker - from which I could then format the second series - and later remove the spurious entry.
I am using a line with markers display, but the second series will only display markers, no joining line, whether automatic, or custom pattern is chosen. I can live with that.
I am only giving all the details of the problem and the final solution, in case someone else comes across similar troubles.
Peter

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?